Writing & Publishing Resources I LOVE
Let's make it happen. These resources will help.
My favorite writing & book planning tools
Planning & Writing
- The Last Fiction Writing Blueprint You’ll Ever Need — My flagship plotting tool for plotters & pantsers alike. Even if you love discovery writing, you’ll find value here.
- The Last Nonfiction Writing Blueprint You’ll Ever Need — For you nonfiction-writing folks, don’t worry. I’ve got you. This blueprint will guide you to a completed book proposal if you’re querying, and a ready-to-write outline if you’re going indie.
- Plotting & Writing Project Management — My only 1-1 offering currently. If you want guidance from a seasoned author & the skills of a project manager to help you get your book written, this is for you.
- ProWritingAid — My absolute favorite editing Tool. Use my code for 20% off (yes, even on the Lifetime version!)
- AutoCrit — Another editing tool, different from ProWritingAid. I use both. This one gives you feedback on how your work compares to others in your genre; there’s also a lovely community for writers. Get 60% an annual plan with my link.
- Scrivener — The best place to write, whether you’re doing fiction or nonfiction.
- ThriftBooks: I LOVE Thriftbooks! If you’re shopping for a book, check there first! Use my code for 15% off your first purchase at Thriftbooks.
- Save the Cat! Writes a Novel: The Last Book On Novel Writing You’ll Ever Need by Jessica Brody. I don’t use this method anymore, but I still believe it’s an accessible, thoughtfully-written, and comprehensive guide on writing more compelling stories.
- The Story Grid: What Good Editors Know by Shawn Coyne. Perfect for after you’ve written the first draft and are diving into developmental edits.
- DIY MFA: Write with Focus, Read with Purpose, Build Your Community by Gabriela Pereira. DIY MFA is the do-it-yourself alternative to a Master of Fine Arts in creative writing. By combining the three main components of a traditional MFA–writing, reading, and community–it teaches you how to craft compelling stories, engage your readers, and publish your work.
- Before and After the Book Deal: A Writer’s Guide to Finishing, Publishing, Promoting, and Surviving Your First Book by Courtney Maum. Everything you’ve ever wanted to know about publishing but were too afraid to ask is right here in this funny, candid guide written by an acclaimed author.
Free resources from me to you 💌
I made these for you. They’re free! Please drop me a line and let me know what you think!
Stop fumbling the dreaded "So...what's your book about?"
Write your next book faster + with fewer revisions! This free worksheet will help you get started, & my helpful newsletter will keep you going.
My favorite author platform tools
- Siteground website hosting — fast, cheap, and hands-down the best customer support in the business! My link gets you a discount.
- Namecheap domain registration — cheap and easy!
- WordPress.org websites — it just works and it’s so much more affordable, customizable, and safer than using a builder like Squarespace or Wix.
- Astra WordPress theme — it’s super lightweight and fast!
- Elementor Page Builder — it makes designing websites a breeze!
- WPTasty — makes pinning from your author website a lot easier!
Growth & Marketing
- ConvertKit — For emailing your readers. I have tried dozens of email marketing platforms, and I always go back to ConvertKit. There’s really no better option. Get a free trial with my link.
- Joanna Penn’s Creative Penn podcast — delightful, fun, and informative on trends in the industry, growing, and staying sane. Her podcast is one of two podcasts I never miss.
- Mark Dawson’s SPF — everything you need to know and more! I really enjoy the podcast.
- Books & Alchemy Pinterest Group Board — If you post about writing tips, publishing, or book marketing, you are welcome to request to join the board.